It has been a while since I had to setup a new db to use the aspnet role provider or membership provider but I am tinkering with a multi-org implementation of both of these so wanted a fresh provider db to play with.
Except whenever I ran the aspnet_regsql tool to configure the database it would timeout at different stages in the process. Most annoying.
In the end, I ran aspnet_regsql from the command line to generate the sql to a file and then I ran it from Sql server management studio.
In my case the command line I used was:
C:\>aspnet_regsql -sqlexportonly c:\providerscript.sql -A mr -d MyProviderDb
Incredibly it took over 5 mins to run!! No chance that this would have run from the gui tool with a standard connection timeout of 30secs!