- Deactivate old users (System Maintenance\Operators)
- Add new users in same location
- If any of the users will use non standard Vinsight modules (Such as Harvest Scheduling\touchscreen etc) then also add their OS username to this form eg:DOMAIN\user
- Any users of standard Vinsight modules then add them as members of the VinsightPowerUsers Domain security group
- If any of the users will use NON standard Vinsight modules (Such as Harvest Scheduling / touchscreen etc) then add them as members of the VinsightUsers Domain security group
- Also for NON standard Vinsight modules you may like to review the membership of other Domain Vinsight Security groups such as VinsightWinemakers,VinsightSupervisors etc.
- As you do now you might consider:
Deactivating any non-current: Contacts,Growers,Vineyard,Blocks,Sub-Blocks,Stock Items, Tanks/barrels
BEST PRACTICE REMINDERS
- If you are not working in Vinsight, close any data forms you have open.
You can leave the menu system open. Any data forms open, maintain, at the
least, read-locks on the database and will slow those areas down for other uses.
- If you have finished your shift. Consider closing Vinsight ( or even shutting down you PC)
for similar reasons as above. This also allows the operating system to reclaim any unused
memory that may be held by Vinsight or any other program (particularly OUTLOOK)
- Follow point 1 and 2 also helps and speeds up system backups
General Rules of Thumb
- Never delete any entries:
most entities will have history associated with them which you do not want to lose. Instead
you should should deactivate them.
- Avoid renaming entities:
While your history will remain, you historical reporting will look less intuitive as the reports will often
show the new names with the older reports.
Advice: if you move or rename existing tanks then if possible, (ie: you are not reusing the same names for another tank)
then create the new tank name, transfer the wine to the new tank, then deactivate the old tank.